Władysław Łokietek (Władysław the Short or Elbow-high) issues a priviledge which claims Lublin to be charted according to German-Magdaburg law. Then Maciej from Opatowiec is appointed an alderman and at the same time parcels are prepared for the future settlers. That’s when the parcel including houses at Rynek 16 and Jezuicka 8 is formed which throughout history has never been altered.
(Antoni Boys, Portrait of Władysław Łokietek, XVI w.)
The first mention of domus seu lapidea - a stone house (in Polish “kamienica”) existing in that place. The house belonged to Stanisław Mężyk, a town councillor. In the painting “Lublin Fire of 1719” the houses of the Rynek’s north frontage are visible including “The Musicians’ House” (Kamienica Muzyków).
The Musicians’ House is named after Jan of Lublin one of the most famous Lubliners in the world. Being an extraordinary man, he collected the biggest set of European Renaissance pieces of music. His tabulature from 1540 is 520 pages long and contains more than 300 pieces from all Europe. The author himself is a mystery but the following legend casts some light on his life.
It all happened at the beginning of 16th century in Lublin. Master Jan, as he was then called, being a graduate of Akademia Krakowska (Krakow Academy), came to Lublin from nearby Kraśnik for fairs. However, he was not interested in colourful fabrics, expensive spices or Hungarian wines. Jan visited inns where he waited for merchants tired of a long day. Then he joined groups from the furthest parts of the world – France, England, Italy and Spain. It was hard to communicate or explain his presence there but when he played, sang and danced, foreigners did the same for him till the early morning. At the crack of dawn Jan sat and wrote down all the dances, songs and pieces of music. As a result, his fame and his tablature last. This place was called the Musicians house.
Jan of Lublin tablature 1540
Is one of the saddest moments in the history of Lublin. The whole city burst into flames. The fire was started by a citizen who was preparing a pie for the church fair of St Stanislaus (8th May). The fire destroyed also our house. Similar situations occured in Lublin several times killing people and destroying the city. As a memento of the 1719 fire a colourful procession walks along the streets of the city on 2nd June. Then a pie from „16 Stołów” Restaurant (16 Tables), a traditional dish, is served according to all fire hazard regulations
Jakub Żendzianin, a goldsmith, councillor, one of the richest Lublin merchants, was the owner of the house. Having renovated the house after the 1575 fire, he let the house to his daughter Regina and her husband a doctor, Wawrzyniec Felkiel for 100 zlotys a year. Jakub Żendzianin accumulated wealth which included four houses in the city (the contemporary Old Town) and a garden (Krakowskie Przedmieście area). Not only did he buy properties, but also he benefited from his marriages. He was married three times and had five children. (16th century goldsmith’s workshop in the picture.)
Jakub Żendzianin, (a grandson of the previously described Jakub Żendzianin) a furrier, who had both his shop and workshop on the ground floor of the house, sold his share to Jerzy Lemka for 2000 zlotys. After that he joined the Franciscans and became a friar Zygmunt. (A picture of 17th century furrier’s workshop.)
The above inscription is taken from the work of Seweryn Zenon Sierpiński (1815-1843) a writer, lawyer, historian and the co-founder of Warsaw bohemia. In the first ever guidebook about Lublin entitled Obraz miasta Lublina (Warszawa 1839) (The Picture of Lublin ,Warsaw 1839) he placed the above picture showing the plaque which once decorated the frontage of Rynek 16 house. In the author’s times the plaque was placed on the wall of the house at Jezuicka 8. The inscription evoked controversy as it couldn’t be deciphered. There were even rumours stating it was written in an ancient runic alphabet. According to more contemporary sources the plaque is regarded as a memento of 1525 conversion of the house and as the intials of the owner, Stanisław Mężyk, and his house mark. At present the plaque is considered lost. If you find it, please report its whereabouts at the bar. Thank you in advance!
In 19th century the house was rebuilt. In 1881 despite the protests of Lublin inhabitants, the owner removed 16th century attica from the house. The attica was the last of its kind in the Old Town. In the photo the house from the beginning of the 30s in 20th century
During the refurbishment in the Old Town the frontage was rebuilt according to the project of an engineer I. Kędzierski. The groundfoor was rusticated and painted grey whereas the upstairs was painted dark red. Neo-renaissance doors and windows were installed.
The Rynek 16 house was presented in the postcard of one of the leading Polish photographers Jan Bułhak. The shop-sign on the groundfoor of the house can be seen in the photo.
Because of fires caused by German bombings the house was damaged to a large extent. Only the outer walls withstood.
The house Rynek 16 – Jezuicka 8 was being rebuilt.
Sgraffito connected with 16th century musician and composer Jan of Lublin decorated the frontage. Since then the house is called the Musicians’ House. The author of the decoration was an outstanding Polish paiter, Stanisław Szczepański.
Suites of Musicians’ House begin their activity. In each suite are: a bathroom en suite and a flat screen TV with cable TV. The interior design is inspired by the style of Art Deco and Secession. Each suite includes a living room area with a sofa and a kitchen or an open space kitchen with a fridge. Customers receive an everyday service and breakfast.
16 Tables Restaurant is a nice and cosy place which is a recognised spot among Lublin restaurants. It is situated in the very heart of the Old Town. New and elegant interior, delicious cuisine by Piotr Kwiatosz and professional service make it an ideal place for family dinner, romantic evening or both social and business meetings. Since 2011 we have an honour to welcome you in a warm and homely interior of our restaurant where Polish dishes in an innovative shape are served. Longforgotten dishes of Lublin and national Polish cuisine are prepared here using modern cookery (molecular gastronomy, Sous vide method).
On that day ten hotel and culinary institutions were recognized by the City of Lublin in 3rd edition of the ‚Place of Inspiration’ Programme. Both the Suites of Musicians’ House (Apartamenty Kamienica Muzyków) and 16 Tables Restaurant (Restauracja 16 Stołów) (both places independently) were awarded within this prestigious programme. During the awarding ceremony the mayor of Lublin, Krzysztof Żuk said: „Cooperation with the instititions is very important in shaping positive view of the city. Places of Inspiration quarantee high quality service, good knowledge about the city, many opportunities to explore the city and typical of Lublin homely atmosphere.